It’s happened to a lot of us – we wake up in the morning to discover a new part of our body; only because it hurts. We know what comes next – an appointment with a doctor, a referral to physio, and ultimately more trips out of the house to get to physiotherapy. We know we need to go do this, but what if there was another option to making those trips that involve getting through traffic, waiting to see the therapist and ultimately being full of tension by the time you get back home?
The team here at Spartan Wellness knows what it’s like to wake up at zero-dark-buffalo (that’s really early for other folks) and be sore, tired and unsure of whether you’re going to make your appointments that day. We also want optimum health and wellness for all, so we partnered with physiotherapy professionals and are excited to now offer in-home kinesiology sessions.
With a prescription for physio/kinesiology treatments, Spartan Wellness can bring a trained professional to your living room (or whatever room you prefer) through telemedicine video streaming. This is done in a real-time video chat, so you can ask questions and get instant feedback from a trained and certified kinesiologist. We direct bill for qualified veterans, first-responders, and civilians, so there’s no cost to our patients.
Spartan Wellness will provide you with everything you need. After registering with our program, we will send you a custom-tailored equipment package which will include:
– Resistance bands
– Exercise ball
– Jump rope
– Yoga mat
– Performance massage roller
– Block for assistance in some exercises
– Assistance straps
An HDMI cable to connect your camera enabled device (such as a laptop) to your TV and detailed very simple instructions on how to get yourself set up and going!
The Spartan Team
It’s tax time. Before you file, ask yourself if you may have missed an eligible deduction – costs incurred from having a prescription for medical cannabis. We’ve included a link at the bottom of this blog that takes you directly to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) website where details regarding medical expense deductions can be found.
In summary the website states that individuals that have legal access to cannabis for medical purposes can claim expenses related to that provided those expenses meet certain criteria.
Those expenses must:
1) Be paid in the year that the return is being filed for (i.e. paid in 2017) and; have not been claimed in the previous year. This means that receipts from previous years are not eligible.
2) Be legal purchases under the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes (ACMPR) or Section 56 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA).
3) Only expenses that will not be reimbursed by other means can be claimed. This means that if you have, for example, 80% reimbursement coverage through a health insurance provider, only the remaining 20% of the cost is an eligible expense. For those veterans that have 100% coverage through VAC/Blue Cross, no prescription costs are eligible.
Legal purchases are defined as purchases made by an individual that has authorization to possess or cultivate cannabis from Health Canada, and has made purchases from a licensed producer, or for their designated grower. CRA currently limits these expenses to cannabis products. This means dried flowers, seeds, and oils.
Purchases made from dispensaries, either storefronts or online, are not legal expenses.
If expenses were incurred on behalf of a spouse or dependant (i.e. your credit card was used for the legal purchasing of medical cannabis for your spouse or dependant) those expenses are legal and can be claimed.
A Form T2201 (Disability Tax Credit Certificate) is not required to claim medical cannabis expenses.
Spartan Wellness strongly recommends speaking to your tax preparer or financial professional on claiming medical cannabis expenses.
The Spartan Wellness Team
With Special Contributions by Emmanual Paul, CFO, Spartan Wellness
555 Legget Dr
Suite 536 - Tower B
Tel: (416) 282-6110
Tel: (416) 282-2423
Fax: (647) 689-3741